Author Topic: Beyond Belief: Fact Or Fiction?  (Read 3264 times)

Description:

Offline Psycho Penguin

• Mitch Richmond > Michael Jordan
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Beyond Belief: Fact Or Fiction?
« on: August 21, 2009, 07:52:51 AM »
Someone is uploading this show on youtube finally. It's one of my all time favorite shows. I didn't watch it for the whole gimmick since it's all bullshit anyways, but the stories were great.

Beyond Belief is easily one of the greatest shows ever on TV. Sure, the acting was subpar at times, but most of the episodes featured at least one or two absolutely awesome stories. The problem with the show was that a lot of the stories turned into typical crap, like ghosts and crap, that people could see coming from a mile away. Plus, some of the stories were easy to guess. A mechanical gorilla comes to life and kills its owner's mean boss? Please.

Thankfully, the amount of good shows far outweighs the amount of crap, making this an awesome show. I have no idea why Fox decided to cancel this show so much, it was making good ratings. I really have nothing else to say, so I will give plot recaps of some of my favorite episodes.

1. The monster in the closet. If I haven't told you about this one, you don't know me well enough. A boy is scared of a monster in his closet. His schoolmates and brother tease him. One day, they threaten to put him in the closet, but the brother goes in, screaming when the door is closed. He is never seen again. Instant classic, scary as fuck, with horrific music, one of the most memorable closing lines ever, and the fact it's a TRUE STORY.

2. The boy who cried wolf. Another great one. Boy is teased at camp by two kids. The boy has a nightmare and is woken up by his counselor. The boy tells the story of his dream. The kids stray off and are confronted by a mean wolf. The boy then appears and feeds the wolf cookies, so the wolf leaves and the kids are saved. Suddenly, the kids run in and ask what the boy is doing there, since he just saved them from a wolf. But the boy was there the entire time.. suddenly he looks in his hand.. he finds a bag of cookies.

3. The red eyed monster. This one just freaked me out. A boy sees a red eyed demon in his kitchen every night. The mom even sees it. It turns out to just be the air conditioner lights though, so no worries. The nanny reads a story to the boy that night, and explains to him that monsters don't exist, etc. She then leaves the room, closes the door... and her eyes turn red. I cannot describe how scary and unpredictable that ending was. And again, it was true.

4. Pearl Harbor. Not scary, but awesome nevertheless. A teenage boy writes "REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR" all over the school, at the end of the episode, the principal asks "I don't get it, what is Pearl Harbor and why should I remember it?" You see, the kid was writing it TWO DAYS before the attack happened. True story, too. My all time favorite BB episode that isn't scary at all. Just a really awesome true story.

5. Titan. Another non-scary one, and follows the same plotline of #4 to a certain extent, but #4's ending surprised me more. This guy writes a fake story about a ship named the Titan, with eerily similar relations to the Titanic, 100 years before the disaster happened. Awesome stuff.

6. The invisible cat. Back to the scary ones we go. A couple takes a picture and find an invisible cat is seen in the background. No one sees the cat except for them, the cat fades away when others see the picture. At the end of the episode, it turns out to be a evil spirit of a cat they abandoned years before. The cat then kills them. The only episode I've ever seen where all the main characters die, and a truly freaky one at that.

7. The Hindenburg. A couple celebrates their good fortune with their friends on a ship. 10 years before, their rings were fused together strangely, so they could not go on their cruise for the honeymoon. They were sad.. until the cruise was torpedoed and everyone on board died. At the end of the episode, the happy couple says "GOD BLESS THIS GREAT SHIP, THE HINDENBURG". And then they all die. Okay, so they all died in this one too, but it was still awesome and I freak out at the plot twist every time I see it. The best fake story on the list.

8. The mute janitor. This one is great too. Four kids find themselves trapped in detention. A mute and deaf janitor is being harassed by two of them. Later, one of the clowns starts writing on the chalkboard, when moans start occuring. Every time he writes using the chalk, moans occur. The moans eventually lead them to the manitor, who is MUTE and therefore cannot moan. Freaky shit, huh?

9. Predictor of doom. I LOVED this plot twist. A woman keeps predicting stuff will happen. She sees someone getting run over by a car, but she doesn't see the face. At the end of the episode, she finally sees the face.. her own. She dies that night in a hit and run. Brilliant stuff.

10. TIED! The haunted house. Wow, here I thought I wasn't going to get to 10, and I found 11. The 10th one is the haunted house story where a woman sees this dream house in her dreams. Every night she wanders the house in her dreams. One day, she finds the house in reality, and every detail is perfect.. but it turns out to be haunted. When she meets the homeowner, the homeowner says the woman IS the ghost haunting the house. The 2nd one is about a guy who decides to ride a haunted carousel. Everyone who rides it dies, but he thinks he can turn the fate around.. until he sticks his hand in the horse's mouth and a rattlesnake bites him.

Now you see why I love this show. Awesome stuff, huh? Check it out now.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Venkman

• Enhancement Talent
  • CXF Writer
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
    • View Profile
Beyond Belief: Fact Or Ficion?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 07:53:23 AM »
Is this the Jonathan Frakes show?

Edit: Yes, it is.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 07:54:01 AM »
Yes he hosted the last 3 seasons I believe. James Brolin was the original host.

Offline Crazy Smues in Space

• Capitalist Duck
  • The Authority
  • That's gotta be one expensive cane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 07:57:24 AM »
Didn't Frakes also host Alien Autopsy?

Also: Jim Duggan says yadda yadda Ficion tough guy yadda yadda fuh fuh fuh.
Crazy (clap clap) duck (clap) in space. Yeah you're really creepy and your old. You've got a creepy (clap clap) Scottish (clap) accent dude and you bathe in gold. BATHE IN GOLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD (that can't be good for you)

Offline Psycho Penguin

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:59:13 AM »
My t key is broken. It's amazing I don't misspell more words using that letter, but it won't let me edit it.

Offline Venkman

• Enhancement Talent
  • CXF Writer
  • You don't know me and you don't have to know me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 08:02:47 AM »
Edit your first post and the topic title will be above it. That's something to believe in!

Offline snuffbox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:06:16 AM »
I want this show and Sightings back on television.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:52:58 AM »
Edit your first post and the topic title will be above it. That's something to believe in!

FACT!

I want this show and Sightings back on television.

I've never heard of Sightings, but it sounds like another UFO show.

Offline Harley Quinn

• The Authority
  • Laugh this off... puddin'!
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 09:54:49 AM »
I liked this show and remember being scared during the monster in the closet story.  Enjoying re-watching these although some are lame plot/acting wise.

Venk: Sightings was a contemporary of Unsolved Mysteries... only more supernatural based (UFOs, Ghosts, Bigfoot, etc.)

Offline Psycho Penguin

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 09:55:44 AM »
Monster in closet is one I rewatched today, it still holds up now.

Unsolved Mysteries, now there's a classic show!

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 02:28:47 PM »
3. The red eyed monster. This one just freaked me out. A boy sees a red eyed demon in his kitchen every night. The mom even sees it. It turns out to just be the air conditioner lights though, so no worries. The nanny reads a story to the boy that night, and explains to him that monsters don't exist, etc. She then leaves the room, closes the door... and her eyes turn red. I cannot describe how scary and unpredictable that ending was. And again, it was true.

I swear to God, this one story gave me fucking nightmares. I still think about it to this day and I'm fucking 22.

DTF

Offline Big Green

• The King of the Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 02:42:11 PM »

I LOVED Unsolved Mysteries. I bring that show up so much in casual conversation and own all of the DVD sets.

Spike can suck a dick for their terrible remake of the show.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »

I swear to God, this one story gave me fucking nightmares. I still think about it to this day and I'm fucking 22.

Yeah, the way they did it was fucking creepy.

I LOVED Unsolved Mysteries. I bring that show up so much in casual conversation and own all of the DVD sets.

My favorites are unexplained disapperances/murders.

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 03:46:38 PM »

Unsolved Mysteries without Robert Stack's creepy voice is not Unsolved Mysteries.

Went as him for Halloween last year, tricky getting that voice down.

Offline Big Green

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 03:50:28 PM »

Yeah, the way they did it was fucking creepy.

My favorites are unexplained disapperances/murders.

Those are usually really good. Any cases that stick out in your mind?

Ones that still puzzle me are Angela Hammond (girl goes missing from phone booth) and Kurt Sova (teenager found dead in ravine with no apparent cause of death).

I'll start an Unsolved Mysteries thread so we don't hijack this one.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »
I actually bought a bunch of Arthur Traylins books since that is where Beyond Belief got the stories from.

Remember Terry Funk wrestling a dead guy?

----

"An evil old man, not well bred...no respect for anyone...not even the dead!!!"

FACT

I freaked.

-------

Also the monster in the closet  was supposedly BS, IIRC the kid actually found a trap door or crevice or some shit and was found later on in the neighborhood.  He just wanted to mess with his brothers or whatever.  i read this somewhere on the net

Another FACT that blew my mind was a man who found a Superman Suit or some such and it actuaklly gave him power to stop a crime.

----
The lock that wouldn't open to a woman's front door when a criminal was trying to get in under the guise of being some one else. The woman tried in vain before the bad guy gave up, then the lock opened.  FACT.  Great story.

There's something with a safe that my head wants to remember but I am failing.

Also the story that made me a fan:  A man shoots at someone he wants dead, misses and the bullet goes into the tree.  Like 10 years later the guy who was shot at took a chainsaw to the tree and the Bullet lodged into his head and killed him.

The actual story involved a tree being blown up, not chain sawed but the basis was the same.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 03:08:32 PM »
Yeah, just read on IMDB the true story about the closet. Sigh, but it's good to know the truth. And the police officer examining the closet at the end of the episode sucked, then. ;)

Offline Psycho Penguin

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »
Oh I remembered another good one - this woman leaves a bar, is stalked by a guy who keeps flashing his brights at her. She finally stops and the guy gets out with a gun.. then shoots at someone in the backseat. An intruder was hiding in her backseat with a knife, and the stalker was flashing his brights so the guy couldn't see well to stab her. I think that was FACT.

Offline Harley Quinn

• The Authority
  • Laugh this off... puddin'!
    • View Profile
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 01:26:09 AM »
Oh I remembered another good one - this woman leaves a bar, is stalked by a guy who keeps flashing his brights at her. She finally stops and the guy gets out with a gun.. then shoots at someone in the backseat. An intruder was hiding in her backseat with a knife, and the stalker was flashing his brights so the guy couldn't see well to stab her. I think that was FACT.

Fact?  That just comes off as the "classic" urban legend with the same theme.  Two books, The Choking Doberman and The Vanishing Hitchhiker, by Jan Harold Brunvand are full of urban legends that are supposedly true but very rarely given evidence that they are true.  Stuff like the guy calling the babysitter from inside the house, the car one you mentioned, the elevator one with a woman where two minorities get in with a dog and Guy 1 says "Sit" and the lady is so petrified she does not realizing Guy 1 meant the dog, etc.  Also includes the "hook" amongst others.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 02:35:16 AM »

Fact?  That just comes off as the "classic" urban legend with the same theme.  Two books, The Choking Doberman and The Vanishing Hitchhiker, by Jan Harold Brunvand are full of urban legends that are supposedly true but very rarely given evidence that they are true.  Stuff like the guy calling the babysitter from inside the house, the car one you mentioned, the elevator one with a woman where two minorities get in with a dog and Guy 1 says "Sit" and the lady is so petrified she does not realizing Guy 1 meant the dog, etc.  Also includes the "hook" amongst others.

Yeah, it wasn't FACT now that I think about it.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 03:55:55 AM »
This was a very fun show. About a month ago on Chiller they were showing a marathon of it. The Terry Funk episode was a good one.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline O.G.

• Slicka than ya average...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 06:19:05 AM »
I loved this show. It scared the shit outta me when I was watching it. I still remember the 'Monster in the Closet' one to this day.

Offline O.G.

• Slicka than ya average...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »
9. Predictor of doom. I LOVED this plot twist. A woman keeps predicting stuff will happen. She sees someone getting run over by a car, but she doesn't see the face. At the end of the episode, she finally sees the face.. her own. She dies that night in a hit and run. Brilliant stuff.
What episode is that in? I can't find it.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 02:50:31 PM »
I misremembered it.

Season 2 Episode 5

Segment 3 : "The Diary" - A young high school girl sees the future and records it in her diary. Two other girls who read her diary to tease the young girl only discover that she has written they are going to die in a car accident.

Reading these brought back a lot of memories and made me realize I haven't seen every episode.

Offline Big Green

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 03:34:42 PM »
I'd like to see a website that took all of the "FACT" stories and gave more detail on them. Some of them seemed plausible given what we saw (such as the one from season 3 where a lonely old man leaves his entire fortune to be split amongst those that attend his funeral) and some seem implausible period (such as the aforementioned nanny with the red eyes).

Offline Beast

• The African Dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 03:40:59 PM »
I went to snopes to see if I could find more info on the monster in the closet episode, since that's the one I remember as well. Well apparently snopes.com hates this show since as they put it "Fiction meant they made it up, Fact meant someone else made it up"

Offline Big Green

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 03:48:12 PM »
I went to snopes to see if I could find more info on the monster in the closet episode, since that's the one I remember as well. Well apparently snopes.com hates this show since as they put it "Fiction meant they made it up, Fact meant someone else made it up"

Some of the "facts" always seemed a bit dubious to me. I'm not doubting that some of the facts were true but I'm willing to guess that a large number of them were not OR were significantly modified by the producers. Remember, Frakes usually said "a similar event occurred."

Offline Psycho Penguin

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2009, 03:50:52 PM »

Offline Beast

• The African Dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »
Alright, well anyway can you imagine his parents reaction for that period of time where it looked like he had actually disappeared?

Offline Big Green

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »
Alright, well anyway can you imagine his parents reaction for that period of time where it looked like he had actually disappeared?

It was probably something like this:

Offline Psycho Penguin

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 04:17:24 PM »
SPAM!

I originally thought the kid died in an accident and they covered it up. But kids talk eventually.

Offline Big Green

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »
I actually wonder what kind of an architect would design a trap door in the CLOSET. That's not a common feature at all. The only use I could see for it would be extra storage space for shoes or something but it'd have to be pretty large if a child can fit in there.

Offline Psycho Penguin

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2009, 04:29:27 PM »
I also call tomfoolery and shenanigans on Beyond Belief because at the end of the skit, the cop is checking the closet and says there is NO WAY the kid could have gotten out.

Offline Big Green

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2009, 04:30:48 PM »
I also call tomfoolery and shenanigans on Beyond Belief because at the end of the skit, the cop is checking the closet and says there is NO WAY the kid could have gotten out.

That's why I put a lot of stock in the whole "similar events" line. Either that or the cop investigating the case was a complete moron, ditto the parents for not knowing that they bought a house with a TRAP DOOR in their child's closet.

EDIT- Found this at IMDB (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

"The Beyond Belief: fact or fiction story about the monster in the kid’s closet was based on an actual event that I personally investigated in Florida many years ago. At the time it happened there was no explanation for the boy’s disappearance—until two weeks later when it was learned that he had climbed out of the closet through a ceiling panel and ran away from home. He stayed at a friend’s house surreptitiously until the friend’s mother discovered him hiding in the attic of their home and exposed the ruse. Unfortunately, the show producer responsible for checking out the truthfulness of each story was not informed until too late that the little boy had turned up at a friend’s house several blocks away."
- Robert Trailins

Still not buying it but there's your explanation.

Offline Shooting Star

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2009, 11:45:14 PM »
I can't find the episodes on youtube. Were they taken off?

Offline Big Green

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »
I can't find the episodes on youtube. Were they taken off?

DailyMotion is your best bet.

Offline Dandy

• I have a 12 inch
  • CXF Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009, 10:00:56 PM »
I don't remember many  details about the first episode I watched, but I loved one of the stories.  A woman keeps staring at some stranger in a bar.  She can't help but stare at the man and think that he looked familiar.  The man follows her and asks her why she was staring at him and tries to assault her in some way.  She got away and the man was arrested.  Turns out she had cornea implants or something and she had gotten them from a woman that the stranger had murdered.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!